Wednesday, July 29, 2009
America is experiencing a sex crisis (sex starved maybe?). Ironically, it is also the country with the highest rate of obesity. Believe it or not, these two very different issues are tightly correlated. When individuals increase their body fat percentage, hormonal changes occur that directly impact one's sex drive. This inverse correlation also bears a heavy burden (no pun intended) on fertility. In men, sperm count diminishes and in women, ovulation is affected.
Making some changes in your diet can be the secret to a revitalized sex life. Note though that while some of the foods I mention below may not be the best thing for your libido, they may be good for you in many other ways. However, ALWAYS remember that moderation is key! Read on!
- Unfortunately, these guys diminish testosterone levels. While the effects are not particularly dramatic, be aware that if you want to get your groove on, skip the tomato soup. :(
- This very rich and fatty fruit stimulates testosterone production which does great things for your libido. I highly suggest you make a trip to the Thai restaurant to load up.
Vanilla Ice Cream
- If you are anything like me, only a few things are better than a scoop of vanilla ice cream with caramelized apples. Great news vanilla ice cream lovers, for once we are encouraged to eat a scoop of this great treat. The scent of vanilla alone has been found to get us all hot and bothered. It gets even better! The dairy in the ice cream offers calcium and phosphorus which helps build the libido and makes orgasms more powerful.
- Nothing makes a romantic dinner better than a bottle of wine, right? WRONG! While one glass of wine acts as a relaxant and can help put you in the mood, more than one glass will do just the opposite! Beware! Who has one glass of wine anyway?
- While we are encouraged to keep our red meat consumption to a minimum, note that eating a serving of red meat will actually increase levels of neurotransmitters and provides us with a healthy dose of zinc which heightens our sensitivity and boosts our libido.
- It is the one of the oldest aphrodisiacs known to man and with a hefty dose of vitamin E per serving, your sex hormones will be in full force.
- Yet another reason to support the theory that pomegranate is a super food. As we already know, it is loaded with tons of antioxidants that not only help prevent cancer but also keep the blood flowing through all parts of the body including our friends below.
- Wrong! There is no research out there that supports the theory that hot peppers help increase the libido.
- While I know it is probably one of the top 10 most expensive spices out there, it is well worth the extra dollars. A pinch goes a long way! Not only is the depth of flavor and color spectacular and unlike any other spice, it does great things for your body. Research shows that saffron acts like a natural antidepressant and pain killer. This is already a great start to a steamy evening. It gets even better! Saffron is packed with a chemical component that makes your body more sensitive to touch.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Sounds cliche right? Well, cliche or not, the rumor is true! Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C--a natural libido booster. The chocolate is not just an extra treat for your taste buds. Chocolate (especially those with 60% cacao) helps release sex hormones into the blood stream. It's not just a gimmick.....promise.
- So I suppose you know the answer to this one. Not really! While oysters stimulate the release of minerals and amino acids that spark an immediate release of sex hormones into the bloodstream (especially for men), it is only effective if a man eats at least 50 oysters at one sitting. Let's not talk about the coma like feeling of fullness and bloating and what that does for your sex drive.
- This fruit has everything going for it. The potassium and vitamin B boost you get from each banana is enough to take a trip to the bedroom.