Thursday, February 26, 2009
The Drakes' Famous Mussel Recipe
My husband and I came up with this recipe on a sunny summer afternoon. We discovered that this was one of the best meals we'd ever come up with. Enjoy!
1. Dice 1/2 onion, 1 , 4 large cloves garlic, 1/2 t dried oregano, 1/4 tsp , 1/4 tsp salt.
2. Melt 1 Tbsp butter and 1 Tbsp Olive Oil in an extra large skillet that has a cover.
3. Add the diced vegetables to the pan at med-low heat & let them sweat for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Crank the heat up to high and when the pan is hot, add 1.25 cup white wine (it does not have to be an expensive bottle of wine...you just want the acidity from the wine and the flavor). If you'd drink it, then it's good to use.
5. Cover the pan and turn the heat down to med-low. Let that simmer for about 2-3 minutes with the cover on.
6. Add the mussels and coat them with the sauce. (i usually include 15 mussels per person if the mussels are small).
7. Cover the pan and turn the heat to med-low. Simmer for 5-6 minutes or until the mussels open. Remember that some of them may not open if you don't have enough room in the pan so if you mix them up they may open. If not, discard them.
8. Remove the mussels from the pan into a large bowl and keep the sauce on medium low heat for at least 3 more minutes to concentrate the flavor.
9. Taste the sauce. You may need to add more salt if the mussels did not provide enough of its own.
10. Pour the sauce over the mussels and serve!. Make sure to dip the mussels in the sauce when u eat it! It is fantabulous!
11. ENJOY with some french bread for dipping!
This meal is low in fat, high in protein, and very satisfying!