Tuesday, February 10, 2009
The Power of H2O!
Water, is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water! Nothing can be a substitute for it. From the tap, from the bottle, from the springs...which ever way you prefer it, drink as much as you can when you can!
1. Nothing quenches thirst like water. If you think you are hungry, most of the time you are just thirsty. Try it.
2. Water acts like a vehicle for water soluble vitamins, B's & C
3. Our bodies are made up of approximately 60% water
4. Drinking water enhances fat loss
5. Drinking water can combat ailments and can even reduce the risk of chronic disease including cancer
6. It helps you look younger: drinking water hydrates your skin
7. All chemical reactions in the body must occur in the presence of water
8. Water helps cushion and lube your joints and muscles
9. Water helps you stay regular
10. Your body needs water to regulate body temperature
I suppose the list could go on and on.
How Much Should You Have in a Day?
Sometimes it may be difficult to drink enough water in the day if you are busy but if you keep a bottle with you at all times, you can get your daily needs in. On average, an adult male/female should consume 2.1-2.3 L per day (approx 8 cups). Total water consumed includes all water consumed in beverages, food, and drinking water. However, nothing is a substitute for plain old water!
Carbonation in soda (even diet soda) can irritate the stomach. The body can only fix itself the only way it knows how. Calcium is pulled from the blood to neutralize the acid from the soda. The blood repletes the loss of calcium by pulling it from your bones!!!
100% fruit juice is good but keep it to a minimum. Get your vitamins and minerals from the fruit or vegetable itself.